Home Electrical Maintenance Checklist
It’s that time of year. The time to make sure all your home’s electrical systems are running smoothly before those summer months hit. With that in mind, we’ve put together a home electrical maintenance checklist so that you can make sure everything in your home is to date on all safety regulations.
- If breakers are tripping and fuses are blowing regularly in your home then it’s time to have a professional come out and inspect your home
- Make sure all circuits are grounded properly, that means any wires transporting current to your lights and appliances need to be connected to a ground wire in your home.
- All outlets near water or wet areas, such as kitchens, bathrooms, pools, etc. are GFCI’s or Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters
- Replace any frayed wires to prevent shock or electrical fire
- Replace all plugs that fit loosely or wobble in sockets
- Keep plugs and cords away from heat sources, such as space heaters, fire places, or radiators
- Do not place furniture on top of cords, or run cords under rugs or carpets
- When outdoors, only use cords labeled for outdoor use
- Never plug a generator directly into your home’s electrical system
- Extension cords should only be used temporarily and should not be used to regularly power home appliances
- If you know children will be around, be sure to equip all outlets with tamper resistant sockets to prevent accidents.
- If you detect any dimming/flickering lights, sizzling sounds, or a burning odor, contact a professional immediately to come inspect your home.
Most importantly, have a professional come out and inspect your home annually. Prevention is always the first step when it comes to the safety of your home and your family. Professional electricians are specially trained to look out for all the things listed above as well looking out for things the average person might miss when doing an inspection themselves. Save yourself the time and effort and contact a licensed electrician in your area to schedule an annual inspections
MJ Rooney Electrical Contracting offers Residential Electrical Service in Westchester County, New York and Lower Connecticut. Call +1(914) 681 1334 today for a free quotation